Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hebrew-English Interlinear Bibles

In this article, I would like to help you take a look at the somewhat limited options when it comes to finding a Hebrew-English interlinear Bible. I am a doctoral student in Biblical languages and am fairly familiar with what is available. First, you could try one of the free online versions; however, the websites that have these are often cumbersome to work with and contain links to Strong's Concordance. I have been studying Hebrew for a considerable number of years now and have never found Strong's to be very helpful. You also have to install fonts on your own which can sometimes cause problems.Another option is to purchase a software package containing a Hebrew-English interlinear Bible. As with most things, putting some money into it gets you something much better than you would get for free. My favorite computer-based version is the Lexham Hebrew-English interlinear Bible available through LOGOS Bible software. The text has not just the Hebrew and English, but also has t
ranslation notes in hypertext, scrollover functions, and transliteration. Here you would get a great Hebrew interlinear Bible, but the issue is cost. It comes as a part of the Original Languages Library that runs around $415. If you have the funds, this would be my highest recommendation. It is what I use in English based classes that I teach in order to demonstrate a point from a Hebrew text. If not, then read on for more cost effective options.You could also buy a paper-based copy of a Hebrew-English interlinear Bible of which there are two primary products available, one by Jay P. Green and one put out by Zondervan. They are both relatively expensive, but I would far more highly recommend the Zondervan version. I actually own the Lexham computer-based interlinear so I have little need for these; however, I have looked over these texts. The Zondervan version appears to be much more user-friendly. In fact, user-friendliness seems to be a major emphasis in many of Zondervan'
s products (i.e. Greek for the Rest of Us and How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth).Finally, if you have some facility with Hebrew, there is another option available. It is technically not an interlinear, but there is a side-by-side Hebrew-English Tanakh put out by the Jewish Publication Society. It is far more cost effective and I like the translation better than the Zondervan NIV interlinear. This is what I use if I want a paper-based text with the Hebrew and English in close proximity to one another.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/hebrew-english-interlinear-bibles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment