Friday, June 29, 2012

The Twilight Series - Not Just for Teenagers!

The Twilight obsession reaches far beyond the intended young adult audience. Myself, the mother of two, became obsessed with the storyline as soon as I watched the first Twilight movie. When the first movie came out I was under the impression that it was just some teenage love affair movie. Because of this very wrong notion I had in my head regarding the story, I actually did not watch the first movie until over a year after it came out on the big screen. Then the girls at work starting bringing the books in with them and trying to sneak in some reading time at every chance they got. I'll admit that this did peak my interest a little, but I still didn't really think they could be that good. After deciding to watch the first movie on demand one night when there was nothing else to watch, I decided it seemed like something possibly worth reading, so I ordered the first book online. By the second chapter I was completely hooked and there was no turning back! I began talking to
everyone I knew about the books. I read them all within about two weeks, and found myself thinking about them all the time, and even wanting to re-read them when I was done.When I started talking to family members and friends about the series, at first I wondered how it would be perceived that I, a mother of two in my late twenties, was spending all of my spare time reading these books that I still thought were more or less meant for teenagers and young adults. But then something interesting started to happen. I wasn't very surprised that my younger brothers and their girlfriends, all of whom are teenagers, were into the series. But I did find it nice to have something in common with them to talk about. What I did find interesting though, was when I found out that several friends my age had already read them and were just as obsessed as I was. And as I talked more about The Twilight Series, I found even more Twi-hards than I ever expected.So many people so close to me were c
ompletely into these books by Stephenie Meyer. I admit, it was pretty shocking. These people ranged from my brother-in-law in his mid-twenties, to my own father who is in his forties and was roped into reading them by my aunt who was completely obsessed with the Twilight series. I found out that my dad and my aunt, who both ride motorcycles and go on bike runs once a year together, had even decided to make Forks, Washington the destination of their next bike run. And what was even more interesting to me, was the fact that now I had something in common with all of these people I knew and loved, but somehow never really had much to talk about with. It was as if I had joined some new club, and I loved it. Having the chance to express my thoughts on this series that I loved so much, that had somehow touched me, with so many people I knew. And it wasn't just people I knew either. I found myself getting into conversations with strangers about Twilight. Even talking to the cashier
at the bookstore when I went to purchase the fourth book, Breaking Dawn, for a good twenty minutes.To say the least, once I picked up my first of Twilight, to well after I was done reading Breaking Dawn, I was finding that this series I was so skeptical about at first, ended up bringing me closer to so many people. The way Stephenie Meyer writes is so intense that you literally get caught up in the stories. They draw you in, as if you wish you could just jump right into them and experience it all for yourself. Overall, I would say it's well worth the read, no matter what age group you're in. From the first moment Bella and Edward meet, to the very end of the series, you will be absolutely enthralled. You might be surprised at who in your own life you end up talking to about The Twilight Series. But one thing I can promise, you won't be disappointed!

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/the-twilight-series-not-just-for-teenagers-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment