Thursday, January 24, 2013

Blessed Animals

I have many fond memories of farm life as I knew it which isn't the way most people who were raised on farm remember them. While most people remember milking cows, cleaning out stalls, and many other delightful things that we won't discuss, I was in the background watching almost everything. I want to and do what they were doing. I actually thought there was a conspiracy against me, but I didn't know why. All I knew was that when they wanted to, it seemed that they could take me anywhere in my wheelchair.I remember thinking what a blast it would be to go up into the hayloft and wait for a load of hay to come because that was when I heard the screaming and laughter as they waited for it. When the hay came bouncing along, another group of people were whopping and hollering , and suddenly I wanted to be on top of the hay piled high on a wagon with them. I realize now that haying the old fashioned way with square bales is really hard work, but back then, all I could see were peop
le supposedly having a good time. watching him work because it was a time when I could talk to him without any interruptions. I don't remember much of what we (or that should be I) talked about, but I thoroughly enjoying it; now whether or not Dad enjoyed it is difficult to say. Maybe that's why he couldn't wait to rev up the chain-saw. Talking is one thing I am good at, and I sure did my share of it back then.When I wasn't talking, I spent a lot of time playing in the dirt. When Mum worked in the garden, I sat on my knees and dug. The odd time Mum would let me plant seeds which I could do without much difficulty, but no one knows how many times I dug up more than I planted. My love for digging was greatly enhanced when I learned that I could dig my way to China. When Mum had serious things to do in the garden, I had to stay out of it. I never could go into the potato patch, and I never did get to China either for some reason.Mum always wanted horses, and about eight years a
go, the mother came to farm already pregnant with Winnie. Next to the family, Winnie is Mum's pride and joy. The horses might be sold much to Mum's displeasure, but Winnie will always have a spot in her heart. I'd like to think that they would come over let me pet them if I could get the fence. We would have a good conversation (I would talk, they would drool), and when they got tired of listening to me, they would simply walk away.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/blessed-animals.html

No comments:

Post a Comment