Thursday, November 29, 2012

A New Kind of Movie Spy: The Devil's Halo Addresses the Very Real Issue of Intellectual Piracy

Perhaps it's my minuscule attention span that causes my mind to wander during the complicated and technical bits that run rampant through most contemporary spy novels. I tend to doze off as soon as the technology reaches beyond my limited comprehension and the politics become too arcane.Imagine my surprise, then, when I found myself completely wrapped up in the plot of Devil's Halo, the newest offering by Chris Fox. It's about a sort of movie spy, but not in the martini swilling, woman chasing James Bond sense. No, our hero is a family man--albeit a family of brainiac aerospace types--hired to foil a scheme hatched by foreign evil doers to steal one of America's most precious commodities: blockbuster movies. Now, that's something to which even I can relate.To be sure, Devil's Halo has its share of space age devices and political scheming, but it's expertly woven into a storyline with human interest, romance, murder and even a dash or two of well-placed humor. Add a damsel in
distress, a child in peril and a decidedly heroic protagonist, and you've got what it takes to keep me turning pages.Mr. Fox has most certainly done his research and that, combined with his elegant prose, makes his explanations of even the most fiendishly complex mechanisms and devices a pleasure to read. Moreover, he spices his narrative with delightful bits of esoterica (would you know where to find a portrait of Einstein in stained glass?) that one can save up for those ever so boring dinner parties.The Devil's Halo can be had at Amazon U.K. for now, but Americans will be seeing it in bookstores by this summer. Intellectual pirates beware; you're being watched.By Raechel Donahue

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/a-new-kind-of-movie-spy-the-devils-halo-addresses-the-very-real-issue-of-intellectual-piracy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment