Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Zacchaeus and the Happy Day - A Book Review

Zacchaeus and the Happy Day, by Rhonda Gowler Greene, is a retelling in rhyme of Luke 19, where a chief tax collector climbed a tree to get a peek at Jesus Christ, then hosted a meal for Jesus and donated his ill-gotten gain to the poor.Greene does a good job of helping us feel the anticipation crowds must have felt while waiting for Jesus to walk by, then explaining the biblical story in an entertaining way:"He tried to findthe perfect spotwhere he could see. But he could not.He tried this way,that way too.What could small Zacchaeus do?Oh, how he wishedthat he could see.Then he spied -a sycamore tree!"The author emphasizes that while Zacchaeus was a man of sin, Jesus showed him only love. Then:"His greedy heartgrew BIG that day.He said, 'I'll gladly repaymoney I took from the poor -all I took and even more."Zacchaeus is converted from a man who cruely takes from others to a man who is "kind and giving."What I Like: I love that Greene chose a story from the Bible that is rare
ly told to children. Too, the tale is told clearly, and without preaching.What I Dislike: Santiago Cohen's illustrations are bold and modern, but the colors are rather dark and muddy.Overall Rating: I hemmed and hawed about whether to give this book a "Good" or a "Very Good" rating. Although I dislike the illustrations, I am delighted to see this biblical story told for children. Therefore, I give it a "Very Good."Age Appeal: According to the publisher, 4 - 8, but many toddlers will like this book, too.Publishing Info: Zonderkidz, 2007; ISBN: 0310711002; hard back, $9.99

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/zacchaeus-and-the-happy-day-a-book-review.html

No comments:

Post a Comment