Friday, July 27, 2012

Succeed In Work and Life One Conversation At a Time

Book Review ofFierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life, One Conversation at a TimeAuthor: Susan ScottThe conversation is the relationship. Think about this statement for a moment in context of your work or personal life. This simple phrase was the main take away message for me when I read the book Fierce Conversations. I recently attended a national association sponsored Leadership Conference that gave me the opportunity to learn more about fierce conversations as it was the subject of several hours of presentations by one of the keynote speakers.In this bestselling book, Fierce Conversations, author, Susan Scott, explains how our conversations succeed or fail gradually, then suddenly, one conversation at a time. Yet you may resist making your conversations 'fierce.' Many interpret this as a negative adjective. However*, the dictionary definition on which this book is based is fierce..."robust, intense, strong, powerful, passionate, eager, and unbridled. Sc
ott's choice of this word intends to help us make our conversations authentic by 'coming out from behind ourselves' and having real conversations. If you want your conversations with work and family to have better results this is a book you will want to read. Here are some powerful messages from the book:Fierce conversations are authenticWe fear making our conversations real. Yet, it is the unreal conversations that have the potential of doing the most harm in the long run.The fundamental out come of most conversations is misunderstandingRecognize everything you say creates an emotional wake...especially when you are a leaderGet in touch with the intent of your conversation. If it is sinister, there will be a negative emotional wake regardless of your words.Don't begin a sentence with honestly, truthfully it makes others think you weren't speaking the truth before.No is not the problem. It is often the solution. It is the way you say no that gets you in troubleDon't talk inc
essantly. If your conversations are filled with noise they will not be effective.We are guaranteed to offend others when we present our impressions as THE truthTaking the 'high road', as an excuse for being polite or not tackling an issue, is often an excuse for avoiding a difficult conversation.Conversation Coaching Questions:What are the goals of my conversations: Convince (others of my viewpoint), Control (the thoughts or behaviors of others), Cover up (truth, feelings), or Converse?Do I talk 'at' others, is my intent impressing others, am I just waiting my turn to talk when I am silent or am I listening in a curious, open way?What conversation am I avoiding, that if I had the (tough/authentic) conversation could change everything?What part of me is failing to show up in my conversations that make them inauthentic?If you want to be more successful in your relationships at home or work, don't read this book- study it!

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/succeed-in-work-and-life-one-conversation-at-a-time.html

No comments:

Post a Comment