Friday, April 19, 2013

Don't Read This If You Don't Want to Be Disturbed

I started reading The Time Traveler's Wife few hours ago. My classmate Jhean was kind enough to lend me the book. She's lucky she found a copy of it at BookSale. The price of that book at National Book Store is around P600, which is too costly for someone like me who doesn't earn money yet. Or maybe everything's too costly when you're broke.It's a good book, a bit confusing because of the dates, but I can keep up so I guess anyone can enjoy it too. It was cleverly written.The Time Traveler's Wife is about, well, a guy who involuntarily time travels.I am not yet done reading it, but I'd like to share something from it.Future meets Present There's this part there when he (from the future) meets his own self (from the present). The two discuss about free will and what I learned there is a bit depressing. No, not a bit. It is terribly depressing!The guy from the present asks why don't the guy from the future try to keep bad things from happening. What's the point in knowing the f
uture if you can't change it?His answer's something like this. He's from the future, so this, this very present, is a past for him. You can't change your past, can you?Yes, we seem to have free will. We just seem to have one. "But everything has already happened."This reminds me of something Paulo Coelho said that until now I can't comprehend how on earth it happens. He said "The past, present and future occurs simultaneously".Physics Even in Physics, Physicists are still trying to understand this time-space issue. Scientifically speaking, The Time Traveler's Wife story is impossible, as far as I know. Going to the future is possible, but going back to the past like what the guy in the story does, isn't. The only way to go to the future known yet is to go to outerspace, spend some days there, then go back here on Earth. You may have just spent some days outside the earth, but when you go back, years have already passed here in our planet. If you want to know how or why, chec
k your Physics book, child.Free Will Anyway, the guy in the story said "You have to behave as though you have free will, as though you are responsible for what you do."And I guess you already know the trick. Just focus on the present-the Now, the Here.The Time Traveler might be wrong, or might be right. But it doesn't matter that much. What really matters is what you believe. Your beliefs determine how your perceive reality. And how you perceive reality determines how you live.I want to believe I have free will. Otherwise, I'll just stop living and blame everything to the Creator. If I can't make my own life, if I can't decide what I should do, if everything has already happened, I think I might as well die.History repeats itself Since I'm already talking so much about Time, I think it won't be a bad idea to add this one. I have read a book review of the book-I-don't-remember-anymore by the-author-I-don't-remember-either. What I remember is, according to that book, you only
live once and then it happens again and again. In this theory, the axiom "History repeats itself" is understood in its literal sense. It's like after you die, you will experience the very same life you had again and again. Oh, damn. I hate that theory. I'd rather reincarnate.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/dont-read-this-if-you-dont-want-to-be-disturbed.html

No comments:

Post a Comment