Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Historically Speaking

I always hated my History classes. I learned early on that History was a dull, mundane subject most often taught in monotone by a bearded, middle-aged man with rancid coffee breath. The tedious tasks of reading massive text books and answering summary questions at the end of each chapter, all while the "teacher" read the paper or silently graded the latest pop quiz, left me listless. I stopped paying attention and I did the minimum amount of work necessary. I memorized dates, names, and facts, but purged them from my mind soon after the unit test was completed. And why not? When would that knowledge prove useful in my life, other than during the occasional game of Trivial Pursuit?However, it appears I have been mistaken in my disdain for history. In a personal endeavor to improve my knowledge of historical events, people, and facts, I am discovering that there are some fascinating stories to be learned. Reading about the characters, personality traits, trials, and trib
ulations of historical figures is so much more interesting than simply memorizing the dates relevant to that person. Here are a few books that I have read and enjoyed recently, all excellent examples of how history can, in fact, be engaging.1. In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, by Nathaniel PhilbrickI hated reading Moby Dick in high school. A chapter dedicated to how to tie knots? Another focused on the process of removing the blubber from a whale? Dull, dull, dull! This book, however, is the true tale of the American whaling ship whose plight was inspiration to Herman Melville. It is a story of survival, tragedy, and adventure that depicts the desperate measures men will take when faced with their own demise.2. Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery, the U.S. Exploring Expedition, by Nathaniel PhilbrickAlthough not as dramatic or intense as In the Heart of the Sea, this book by the same author introduces the reader to an under-apprec
iated event in American history. It provides a glimpse into the personalities behind the U.S. Exploring Expedition, including it's captain, Charles Wilkes. Political intrigue, scientific discoveries, and world exploration abound. The book is a slow read at times, but it was fascinating to learn about the controversy over who actually discovered Antarctica and how the islands of the Pacific were charted.3. The Skeletons on the Zahara, by Dean KingYet another story of survival, this is the true tale of twelve American sailors who were stranded on the African continent in 1815. Following the destruction of their ship, the men are faced with captivity, slavery, and the harsh conditions of the Sahara desert.4. The Lost City of Z, by David GrannThis book tells the story of Percy Fawcett, his search for the legendary "City of Z", his disappearance into the unforgiving wilderness of the Amazon, and the countless explorers since who have sought to solve the mystery of his disap
pearance. I've always thought that someday I would see the Amazon. I love to travel, and the prospect of taking a boat ride down the massive river and exploring the jungle and the canopy, has always been appealing to me. Not so much, after reading this book. The detailed descriptions of the bugs, parasites, pests, and maladies of the area will give you nightmares!Okay, so it's true that Squirt still knows more about history than I do. However, I do take some comfort in knowing that, with each book, I'm increasing my knowledge just a little bit. Upon finishing each book, I curse my past teachers for their inability to suck me into a story in the same way as the authors did. I sincerely hope that my children's History teachers engage them with intimate stories of real people, captivate them with true tales of adventure, and charm them with legends of discovery. Since I was not so lucky in my educational experiences, I will take the challenge upon myself to continue rea
ding. In fact, I'm considering making it a New Year's resolution to read a minimum of 5 (okay, maybe 3) historical non-fiction books in 2011. Any recommendations?

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/historically-speaking.html

No comments:

Post a Comment