Thursday, August 23, 2012

Interview with LW Lewis, Author of "Poodles, Tigers, Monsters & You"

L.W. Lewis was born in 1942. He has a BS Degree in Zoology from the University of Miami (1964) and an MBA from Oklahoma City University (1978). He is a retired Air Force officer. As a navigator he flew B-52's in Viet Nam. As a fighter pilot he flew A-7's with the Flying Tigers. He was also an instructor pilot for the US Air Force. He served as an advisor to the US Army in Alaska from 1982-1986. During this tour of duty he became a Master Parachutist with 269 parachute jumps.Lewis now writes children's poetry. Along with performing poetry at many schools, Mr. Lewis has performed at several comedy clubs including the Blue Katz Club in Knoxville, TN and the Comedy Zone in Jacksonville, FL. His material is essentially the same for adults and children. His work is written "through a child's eyes" and celebrates the innocence and imperfection of children everywhere. He is a single parent who raised three daughters.Tyler: Welcome, Leonard. I'm glad you could join me today. To begin
, will you tell us a little bit about your new children's book "Poodles, Tigers, Monsters, and You" and why you believe it will appeal to children?Leonard: "Poodles, Tigers, Monsters & You" is humorous poetry. Although it is marketed to children, the mix is about 50/50 with adults buying the book for themselves. Its appeal is the rhyme, humor, and brevity of each poem. I get letters from people with ADD and ADHD readers who love the book. I've also received several letters from people with autistic children who love the book. In the case of autistic children, it is the illustrations that are the attraction.Tyler: Leonard, why are you interested in creating rhymes for children. What benefit do you think reading rhymes have for children?Leonard: Rhymes help children read. If they like the poem they will remember it quickly. This allows them to read aloud to others and builds confidence in reading skills.Tyler: Would you compare your writing to other popular children's w
riters of poetry such as Dr. Seuss or Shel Silverstein?Leonard: Many people have told me that I remind them of Dr. Seuss. I don't see the similarity myself. Most reviews compare my work to that of Shel Silverstein. Although my style is somewhat different, I do see the similarity.Tyler: Did you have any influences from other children's writers, and what were your favorite books as a child?Leonard: I did not read much as a child. I had a sixth grade teacher who sparked an interest in poetry. From that time on I became a reader. In junior high I read mostly Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. G. Wells.Tyler: What sets your book apart from other children's books that are poetic?Leonard: The humor does not condescend to children. I write on an adult level.Tyler: Why did you decide to write children's poems? It seems like an odd choice considering your military background?Leonard: Just because one is in the military does not mean they don't have a sense of humor. I have always liked
poetry and would write funny poems to my children when I was away.Tyler: What first got you started writing poetry?Leonard: Shel Silverstein did. I was reading "A Light in the Attic" to my children. My sense of humor is a little like his so I started writing to my children. Some of the poems made it to school and children ate them up. This inspired me to keep writing.Tyler: What do your children think about you being a poet? I assume they are adults now, but that some of your published poems are ones you originally wrote for them?Leonard: I don't think they consider me a poet. I was a military officer for most of their lives. I think they consider me a retired officer who writes poetry. They are my harshest critics.Tyler: Will you share with us one of your favorite poems from the book and tell us why it is your favorite?DOG FOODI fed my brother dog foodMy mother is really mad.I think it's the best dog foodThat he has ever had.She screamed and called the doctorHer eyes
are filled with tears.So I don't think I'll tell her,He's been eating it for years.I like the poem because it's a true story. My cousin and I would bring dog food on our camping trips. We did this until my aunt found out.Tyler: Where do you come up with the ideas for your poems? Do they often have some basis in real life as with "Dog Food"?Leonard: Many of them do. Much of my poetry is about everyday tasks and relationships. I'm often told by readers that a certain poem must have been written about a special person in their family.Tyler: You previously published another children's book, "The Tickle Tree," which is also poetry. Do you see any major difference between the two books?Leonard: I've actually published three books, the third being "Why Do Flies Eat Doggy Poop?" All three books are essentially humorous poetry.Tyler: Our reviewer for "The Tickle Tree," nine year old, Eric Zeda, said, "I didn't know I liked poetry, and that poems could be funny, until I read this
book." Why do you choose to write poems that are funny?Leonard: Starting children with funny poems gets them interested in poetry. We all like to read humor.Tyler: Leonard, do you have plans for more books? If so, will you continue to write poetry and children's books, or do you have an ideas of launching into different fields as well?Leonard: I have a fourth children's poetry book about half finished. I am also working on a book of "Kids Poems for Adults." The book is actually writing itself. Sometimes I don't feel a poem I have finished is appropriate for children but I like the poem so it ends up in the adult file. These poems are not vulgar but are about subjects that children don't need to be reading. Below is the first few lines of such a poem.TIME OUTDaddy is doing time out,But he doesn't think it's funny.I guess that he was pretty bad.He's doing ten to twenty.I'm also writing a sci-fi novel titled "The Chronicles of Blake Gray."Tyler: Leonard, I mentioned you also v
isit schools to present your poems to children. Will you tell us a little bit about these presentations and why you enjoy them?Leonard: Presentations are like a "Comedy Club for Children." The idea is to show them that poetry can be fun. Judging from the letters I get from students and teachers, it works well.Tyler: Thank you for joining me today, Leonard. Before we go, will you tell us about your website and what additional information readers might find there about your books?Leonard: The website is LWLewispoetry.com. It is a way to contact me for school visits or to buy books and audio books on line. Children can also read poems and/or listen to them on line.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/interview-with-lw-lewis-author-of-poodles-tigers-monsters-you.html

No comments:

Post a Comment