Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Interview With Sherry Brantley, Author of "Best of Friends"

Tyler R. Tichelaar of Reader Views is happy to be joined today by Sherry Brantley. Sherry is here to talk to us about her new book "Best of Friends," ISBN 9781411645455, reviewed by Paige Lovitt for Reader Views (4/07)Sherry Brantley is an inspirational author and a public speaker. Sherry's purpose in life is to assist others in their own empowerment process by sharing with them tools, skills, and techniques that can be used immediately. Her workshops, seminars, and retreats are fun, lively, entertaining, and interactive, as she takes you on the "never-ending journey of power." In 1994, she was sworn in by President Bill Clinton as an inductee in his Americorps initiative program. Her powerful poem "What Americorps Means To Me" was a national favorite among her Americorps Team. In 1995, she was given recognition as an Outstanding Americorps Member by the Michigan Community Service Commission, headed by Gubernatorial First Lady Michelle Engler.Tyler: Welcome, Sherry. I'm happ
y you could join me today. Obviously, your book's title tells us what the book is about. Will you tell us a little bit about the "Fabulous Five" characters who compose the group of friends in the book?Sherry: Certainly Tyler. The book tells the tale of the personal crises that a group of female friends face on a daily basis, and details how they support one another through it all, individually and collectively. In short, they've got each other's back! The characters are dealing with: A family death, being out of the workforce so long that one character wonders if the proverbial glass ceiling will be a challenge, divorce, dating challenges women and men face today, struggling between doing what is legally right and what is morally right, and going to meet your prospective in-laws. Although serious issues, the characters handle them with aplomb and humor and it's just fun to see their perspectives and how they come to have the views they have. If readers aren't careful, they
just may learn something about themselves in the process!Tyler: Sherry, where did you come up with the idea for "Best of Friends"?Sherry: Actually, the story is based on many actual events that occurred with me in my own life. Exciting, melancholy, and with a few unique twists, it has characters that are easy to relate to, and is just a fun read. Readers have written to say it's a true page-turner, and readers have told me they didn't put it down until they had completed it. It's really exciting to see the personal growth that the women experience overall. The comments from readers can be found on the site where the books can be purchased directly, at: Tyler: Sherry, there have been many books and films that focus on female friendships. What sets "Best of Friends" apart from others, such as "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and many other female friendship books?Sherry: Well, Tyler, it starts out with a bang, with the lead character getting a phone call that her
mom, who was not sick, has suddenly passed away. The action just builds from there. I'm sure you can imagine how challenging it is to have the matriarch of a family pass away, and believe me, weddings and funerals are the two places where family members really show their true colors. I've been told by many of the readers that all of the characters were so down-to-earth, so graphically depicted with their personalities and physical attributes, that people told me it was as if they really knew them. Also, many of the readers have left positive comments on the book on my website, which is at: , and they've said they're waiting for the prequel because they want to know how the Best Friends became such good, loyal friends.Tyler: Do you envision yourself writing that prequel, or possibly a sequel?Sherry: The prequel to 'Best of Friends,' is almost complete, and just let me say, readers will be excited at how the then-young women of the 'Fabulous Five,' first meet in their youth,
and the readers will really get to experience first hand, how the group becomes such a tight-knit close group of friends. They'll be able to see who were friends first, and see the dynamics of how the group separates over time, and comes back together after a period of years. In addition, there'll be a section when someone tries to manipulate and destroy that friendship, but they'll be able to weather the storm. But true to the nature of my writing style, there will be a 'secret' that binds the group together, and the nature and the culmination of the truth coming out, will be revealed in the sequel of the book. Also, many readers are asking finally to hear the tale of the 'Massah's Hatchet,' which is referred to several times in 'Best of Friends,' so I'm busy working on bringing that part together as well.So yes, it's a planned trilogy with the 2nd one, slated to be titled, "Before Best of Friends," completed shortly, but in the interim, prior to the finality of the sequel
, my poetry book and one of the 'Sweet Potato Pie for the Heart,' series of books are scheduled to be completed. But don't despair, the finality of the much-anticipated trilogy, will be well worth the wait! Tyler, as you can tell, I'm just having SO much fun with it all! And that fun & excitement gets translated to the readers through the pages of the books.Tyler: The characters in "Best of Friends" all have their own problems and difficulties. Would you tell us a little bit about some of those difficulties and why you chose those specific scenarios?Sherry: Well, the scenarios were actual events from my own life. And the amazing thing is, I've had such a wild ride of a life, not just socially, but personally and professionally, that as people get to meet me, they go: "You're kidding! That really happened? It's like a scene out of a movie!" And then when they meet my family and my friends later, they can almost actually see, who's who from the book's standpoint. One ch
aracter as I've said earlier, gets an unexpected phone call that her mom, who wasn't even ill, has passed away. The family dynamics and drama surrounding that entire situation were unbelievable to behold. Had I not experienced it, I wouldn't have believed it myself! And as I started to talk to other people, I began to hear horror stories of all kinds concerning greed, ignorance and just plain meanness. Another character marries a man and then discovers that he has O.B.P. Obsessive Behavior Pattern. The drama that unfolds the night she really discovers this full-force is rather humorous, but the way she handles it is another matter. Another character is a bit nervous as she has to have mammogram tests to see if she has breast cancer, so readers, especially those who have had those types of tests or similar ones, are truly able to connect with the different emotions that overwhelm her during that time-frame. And there's the romance of the book. A character meets what appears t
o be a Southern Gentleman in the park one day, and has a climatic part in the book where she has the opportunity to 'meet the parents,' and as women, we all at times, have dreaded that, simply not knowing what the outcome will be. Not necessarily wanting them to love you to death, but certainly not wanting them to despise you.Tyler: You mention that many of the events and characters are taken from your life? Do you find there is one specific character who is portrayed to be like you? As a writer myself, I find there is a little piece of me in each of my characters, and I can see myself acting just like them if placed in the same situations I create for them. Would you say that experience is true of your own writing?Sherry: I really believe the majority of authors write a piece of themselves in each character they develop. Unbeknownst to the readers, the lead character, Elizabeth Caliente, is the character who represents me. I was the person who received a late night phone
call that my mom had passed away. She wasn't ill at the time and in fact, I was in the process of going to visit her once a month, to record her life story of growing up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Well as the events that unfold in the story shows, all hell breaks loose within my family and approximately 99.9% of what Liz endures is what actually occurred with me. Right up to the point of my redirecting my thoughts and wondering why I didn't cling to my newfound beliefs of 'peace within equaling to a peace with 'out,' instead of reverting back to my years of growing up in Detroit and it being an 'every man for himself' type of mentality. I must admit, there were several instances there, when I didn't choose peace, and I still wonder, what went wrong? What could I have done, said or thought differently? But ultimately, all of our life's experiences are for our highest good eventually, so I learn not to beat myself up about it. I poured my energies into the writing of how I fel
t about it all, and the result of that is the "Best of Friends," trilogy of books. And Tyler, people may think we can't top what occurred with the passing of my mother, but my father passed away this past February 2007, and believe it or not, the dynamics at that time, were even worse! This time, though, I remained true to my 'self,' and while I was about to get reeled in once again, with my family's antics, I decided to step back and allow all things to occur without my presence. There was a major disagreement about where, when and how to bury my father, that resulted in once again, authorities being called, his body waiting for three weeks to be shipped back home, and his remaining estate has an upcoming court date for a final settlement. It is a total mess. I guess that will culminate in a different trilogy of books! : )Tyler: Sherry, how have your own female friendships influenced the writing of "Best of Friends"?Sherry: Quite honestly Tyler, many of the incidents tha
t you'll read about in "Best of Friends," occurred with them! So as they're reading the book, I get calls and they're going: "I can't believe you wrote about that. That was really funny and you described it so well!" Of course, I've changed the names to protect the innocent...as well as the guilty....Tyler: Sherry, of course, writers have to be careful if they use real experiences in their books. How have you balanced between fiction and reality in your books? Has anyone you've known been upset with the books and how did or do you respond to that type of reaction?Sherry: Of course it's true you must walk a very thin line when interspersing your actual life's events with writings that you make publicly known. And it was difficult writing this story as it unfolded with the events getting wilder by the moment. I have a niece who was reading it as it developed and she said to me: "Auntie, you're gonna be in trouble when your family reads this!" But ultimately, I wanted family
members simply to see what we had created collectively and individually with the advent of this situation with the hope that it would allow some of us to see the light. After some reflection though, I came to realize I am not here to save the world and all its inhabitants. Some people live and learn and some people just live, and I can be okay with that. And if my siblings were to write their perspectives on how they experienced the same events, I'm sure that would be a totally different read, as we all experience life through a different set of rules, a different outlook, a different world view. My response to people being upset, offended, or taken aback by my perception of the re-telling of events for me is to understand that they have a right to feel as they do, and I certainly have a right not to allow it to affect me in a negative way. My writing allows me and many readers to heal in whatever areas we may be hurting or feel the need to be strengthened in, and there is
never a need to apologize for becoming healthy and whole. My wish is that we all strive to do so, in whatever positive ways we can.Tyler: You are yourself African-American as are your characters. Do you see yourself writing in an African-American literary tradition?Sherry: There will be some of my literary works that will clearly be in that direction, but my first book, "Choices--The Power is Within You," details the powerful, literal, Universal Law of Attraction, and by the way, it was out before the ever-popular "The Secret" book, and it is designed for those who are seeking personal, financial and spiritual growth. It is done in a workbook style format, so that readers can comfortably work at their own paces and challenge themselves to begin to realize their goals. By setting them, and developing steps to achieve them. With the techniques of that book, I was able to become a full-fledged published author.Tyler: I'm interested in your answer because, while I'm aware
of "The Secret," I'm more familiar with the Law of Attraction from the Abraham-Hicks material on the subject. What influences in regards to the Law of Attraction have influenced your writing and how has it worked in your own life?Sherry: Tyler, I'll probably never get this type of question again, so forgive me if I'm reading more into it than you anticipated, but there is something important about my writing that needs to be said at this point. Everyone is sort of using the phrase 'The Law of Attraction,' but people need to know that it is a literal, Spiritual Law. It is in effect. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And it simply states that: What we think about, we bring about--and if the truth be told, if people REALLY KNEW that, we would all be experiencing life abundantly in all areas of our lives. But we also know there is a difference between knowing a thing and doing a thing. In all of my writing, there will always be a similar thread throughout. And that is: Characters e
xperiencing the types of situations, events and lessons that compel them, in some cases force them, to take a long, in-depth look at what they're really creating for themselves. After reading the Abraham-Hicks materials, I got so excited that I began a MAJOR metamorphosis in ALL areas of my life, and it will continue throughout my stay here in this particular lifetime. You see, I reach a totally different reader with my "Best of Friends" books than I could ever reach with my "Choices--The Power Is Within You" books. But after struggling with that I realized it is time authors included readers who may not necessarily be familiar with the Tony Robbins, or the Esther and Jerry Hicks, or the Gary Renards and the Les Browns of the world. There are literally millions of people who simply have not been exposed to terms such as 'aligning your chakras, going within, and meditating with your higher guides.' They're busy with dealing with their own everyday issues, never knowing that a
s they continue to focus on those issues, they continue to create them. So while my books may be witty, fun to read, and entertaining, my characters will always give my readers pause to see--really see themselves unfold in the telling of the events and allow them to redirect their thoughts either consciously or subconsciously to strive for a better 'me' (them). And if I can do that while tackling challenging issues such as dysfunctional families who can't even see past the dysfunction, chaos amidst important family events, marriages that fall apart and loves that are being renewed while introducing an entire group of readers who otherwise would never hear those types of terms in that kind of format, then I've done what I've set out to do, which is: Give the readers of mainstream genre, chick-flick books, and female literature, a place not only to be able to read a great fictional novel where they're connecting with the characters, but also give them the opportunity to be exp
osed to a whole set of ideas that they're not familiar with, and wet their appetite to pursue those avenues of interest. One reader of "Best of Friends," asked me what 'chakras' were, and this gave me the opportunity to share the messages of Abraham-Hicks and define what the Law of Attraction really means, and how she could incorporate that concept into her own life. There are not many books in that genre that can do that and do it as well as I've been able to do in "Best of Friends." Readers are loving how those characters grow and can see themselves having the same type of growth.Tyler: Sherry, readers have commented on the spiritual side of your writing. Would you tell us a little bit about the spirituality included in "Best of Friends"?Sherry: I'm glad you asked about that, because many readers have said to me: "It was such a pleasure to see the women in the book grow from the places they started out from. The main character, Elizabeth Caliente, is known as the peace-
maker and the person who resolves conflict, so it comes as a shock to her family, friends and certainly to readers when there's a point when she comes to the line drawn in the sand, and instead of backing away from it, she defiantly crosses it. I won't spoil the plot-line, but afterwards, she does some real soul-searching, asking some really tough questions about human nature, why we act and react in the various, sometimes self-defeating ways that we do, and how we can really rise above our knee-jerk reactions and create something beautiful in our lives--even amidst our personal tragedies. Readers are so able to connect with her because all of us on this planet are doing one of three things in our lives: We're either wishing to make adjustments and improvements in our lives, or in the process of making improvements in our lives, or having made them, looking back at them and being pleased with the journeys we've created for ourselves. And Elizabeth goes through such an ordea
l from the first page of the book to the last, that you just marvel at how she now looks at life, and how quickly and readily she's ready to make major changes in her life. It isn't melodramatic, it isn't supernaturally done, it isn't some surreal event. She literally takes readers through all of the ways she is able to view events and shows how just changing the emphasis of a word, a phrase, or by using some positive body language, how everything could've been different. And she's willing to step to the plate and see where her responsibility in all of the chaos is and sees what she could've done differently as well. But it's not done in a preachy, right is right and wrong is wrong sort of way. Life generally isn't like that.Tyler: I understand you are also a public speaker on spirituality and owning your personal power? Would you tell us how you became interested in trying to help others?Sherry: My company is called S.T.E.P.P.--Start To Exercise Personal Power. I used to
teach parenting classes for Michigan State University, as well as Conflict-Resolution at the middle & high schools in Lansing, Michigan. But prior to that, people, including total strangers, would come to talk with me about crises that were occurring in their lives personally. I always seemed to be given insight that I could share with them, to assist them to visualize something different for themselves--should they choose to do so. My parenting skills enabled me to tap into my own spiritual power, and once I saw how magnificent that was--in all areas of my life, there was no holding me back from sharing it with others. But I want to clarify. "Best of Friends" is not a book based on spirituality. It has adult women, in adult situations where sometimes, what is commonly known as adult language is used. It's a fun book filled with situations that adults encounter and while relatively challenging, is told in a humorous and entertaining way.Tyler: Besides, "Best of Friends
" we mentioned you've written a non-fiction, spiritual book "Choices: The Power is Within You." What do you find are the different challenges and rewards between writing fiction and non-fiction?Sherry: Tyler, this is my FAVORITE question! You see, people will read "Choices--The Power is Within You" and get that it's about spirituality, reaching within to hear that still small voice within you, and people are expecting me to be in some sort of an 'inspirational box,' and then they'd read "Best of Friends" and go...: "The same person wrote this book? But these women have sex, they have challenges, they have fights and strong language in the parking lot. Are you SURE you want to do that kind of a book?" Listen, Tyler, like all humans, I'm multi-faceted. I can be very spiritual, meditating, and aligning my chakras one day, and the next...if my car isn't ready when I've been told it would be... for the third day in a row, then there's a 'Vicious Vicki' that comes from outta left
field. And believe me, you don't want to be there when that happens. Of course, these days, that is few and far between, because as a result of my experiences, I've learned how NOT to go there. But it's not always peaches and cream. As an author, it's been a great ride writing both very different kinds of books, because I now have the opportunity to work with many varieties of readers. In addition, I am currently working on a book entitled: "Sweet Potato Pie for the Heart." This will be a compilation of true, inspiring, uplifting stories that I collect from the public to inspire others. For readers interested in submitting their stories or learning more about that project, they can visit Tyler: Thanks for that honest answer, Sherry. I know exactly what you're saying. We try to be spiritual, but we all have our bad days. Sherry, which authors or other public speakers have had a major influence on you?Sherry: That is one of my most difficult questions, Tyler, only because t
here are SO many: Maya Angelou, Amy Tan's "Joy Luck Club" was a phenomenal book and a great movie! Terry McMillan, Bebe Moore Campbell, Zora Neal Hurston, Les Brown, of course Oprah Winfrey, Bill Cosby, Sidney Poitier, Tony Robbins, Zig Ziegler, Dale Carnegie, and many more.Tyler: Sherry, would you tell our readers what your website is and what additional information they can find there about your works?Sherry: I'd love to. My website is . They are able to order both my books, "Choices--The Power is Within You" and "Best of Friends." They will also get information on the guidelines of how to submit their own inspirational, true story for my "Sweet Potato Pie for the Heart," series of books. In addition, a book of poetry is currently being completed. This book will include all types of poetry. Love poems, Inspirational Poems and some let's get in 'yo face, telling you like it is,' poetry. Again, I'm multi-faceted, so it won't all be the pie-in-the-sky-by and by when you di
e, type of poetry. My life has not been like that and my writing doesn't reflect that. And once you've completed "Best of Friends," you'll be able to see the evidence of that. Also, I've begun a springboard from my "Best of Friends," book whereby I have what is called: "Best of Friends Celebration Invitations": Here, people are able to purchase invitations that are made from the cover of the book, inviting a group of their friends who have purchased and read the book, providing them with the opportunity to have me come out to do a personal reading and book signing for their group! So I have many wonderful projects in the works!Tyler: Thank you for joining me today, Sherry. Before we go, what advice would you give to people who are themselves going through difficult situations like those of your characters, or who are unsure how to find their personal power?Sherry: This advice is important and inspirational, so listen carefully: Purchase as soon as you can, "Choices--The Po
wer is Within You." It details a time in my life when I was newly divorced, had three young daughters, and was suddenly homeless, car-less and jobless. I share that with readers so they can see this is not just another motivational speaker who hasn't seen rough times, but talking and acting as if she had. If you're really serious about beginning to change your life, "Choices" has the exercises contained within it and the probing questions one must ask, in order to assess really where you're at in life, and develop a simple, easy-to-do plan to change your life in a smooth, almost effortless way. I say "almost effortless," because there will be some struggle--there always is when we're talking about change. But there's a saying that goes: "If you think education is expensive--try ignorance." And we all can use more education in our lives whether we're focusing on health, spirituality, academics, finances, etc. People find in the long run, ignorance tends to be a lot more costl
y in all areas of your life, for your entire lifetime. Change starts from within, but you must first recognize that change is needed. "Choices--The Power Is Within You," allows you to look at yourself, without judging, without condemnation, without blame. Just as a factual vehicle and way for you to make change, whether it's minuscule or on a grand scale, that will impact your life. And while they're developing themselves personally, they may want to purchase "Best of Friends," for the times they want to take a break and just do some 'fun reading.'Tyler: Thank you, Sherry, for joining me today. You've given us lots to think about and make us feel inspired. Best wishes with your books and your public speaking.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/interview-with-sherry-brantley-author-of-best-of-friends.html

No comments:

Post a Comment