Sunday, February 24, 2013

Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule - A True Crime Book Review

Diane Downs brought her car to a stop in front of a Springfield, Oregon, hospital,with her three gravely wounded children beside her. This book is about the shocking tale of a truly unthinkable crime that being of a mother who tried to murder her own children and succeeded in killing one child and leaving two of the children paralyzed.Ann Rule is brilliant and her books are brilliant. I do not even bother to read what a book is about when I see it is a new release by Ann Rule. I just buy it and I know I will love it.And so far I have not been proven wrong.This book,Small Sacrifices,will break your heart. I could not stop crying. This book has a special place in my heart. I think this is the only way that I can feel that I am doing my small part in keeping these precious children safe seeing as their own mother was a miserable attention seeker totally oblivious of her children's love, instead seeking the love of any man, especially men who did not want her. To get to her age a
nd still not realise the fulfilment of a child's love is pathetic at best.The first chapter begins with the mother driving to the hospital and reporting her children have been shot. It evolves effortlessly from this to the background of the mother, her early life and her life experiences until the day she appears in hospital with her children shot. Then there is the court case which has drama of its own as this mother continues to live a drama filled life even through this period to the point of being pregnant again when she gets sent to jail. (And then a lesbian affair)You will find it very difficult to put this book down and will try and complete it in one session which is virtually impossible as it is a very thick book. Every page is filled with information and there is very little filler "description of the day" passages. Spell binding,gripping and edge of your seat kind of book.I had and still have no sympathy for this woman despite her being abused as a child and so fo
rth. This act is unforgivable and nothing will change my opinion. I do not believe in putting any man before my children. There is a part in the book where she says to whatever man? (In surprise) that she thinks she might love her children more than him. That should have raised some red flags.Basically if you are a mother or parent this book will leave you flabbergasted and emotionally spent.Do not read this book unless you are in the correct state of mind to deal with the many emotions which will run through as you read this book.It is a good idea to access the opinions of other readers of true crime stories before finally purchasing a book online.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/small-sacrifices-by-ann-rule-a-true-crime-book-review.html

No comments:

Post a Comment