Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ultimate Goal Setting - "The Midas Method" by Stuart Goldsmith

I have been aware for many years of the benefits of setting goals. Corporate Managerial Training Courses and books that I had read featured a variety of different approaches to the subject. I understood that the majority, if not all, of successful people used Goal Setting as one of the most important weapons in their armoury to get to where they wanted to be. I even had Goals for myself, or at least I thought I did.I have only just realised that even though I have had ideas and aspirations about what I wanted to achieve in life for a many years now I have never managed to transform them into a serious Goal within my subconscious mind. Unknowingly, I had never understood how to turn a dream into a Goal.I bought The Midas Method only a few short weeks ago and read it cover to cover in one day. It was written by Stuart Goldsmith twenty years ago but the only thing dated in it is the income levels he talks about in those days and the suggestion that an intermediate goal may be to
own a "new VHS video recorder type JVX 1600PD"!!It is not just about Goal Setting. He goes into detail about how two different types of belief systems have been programmed into our subconscious mind since birth, affecting our potential to achieve our Goals. There is a consensus from all authors on this subject that you will not achieve your Goals, you will not be successful, unless you have belief in yourself.Belief that you are worthy of being successful- this he calls Positive Self Image belief and belief in your ability to be successful- I-CAN belief. There is a short test to see where your strengths and weaknesses lie and some simple exercises to work on them. The aim is to retrain the subconscious mind that has been holding you back after many years of programming of irrational fears and doubt.In the Goal Setting section there is a defined process to be followed. He maps out how to set the initial goals, gives examples of the level you should be aiming at, the time sca
le and how to visualise what you will achieve. This process is very important as you will need to start with more achievable goals for your mind to accept at first before hitting it with the "I will be a Millionaire by the time I am 40" goal.He warns you not to be too bold with your first Goals but I did pitch mine slightly above the level that he suggested. One was quite an easy DIY job to complete (although it had been outstanding for three years), another was to run a route of about a mile everyday for two weeks (I don't like running and hadn't done any for about 15 years) and the last two were business related. One of the business Goals was very tough and I did worry half way through if I was going to succeed, but I did. It was a great feeling. But it was my following experience that I found most remarkable.At the time of writing, I finished those Goals ten days ago. For one week I did not replace those Goals, I kept meaning to get around to it but never did and didn't r
eally achieve much for the whole week. Three days ago I finally sat down and wrote four new Goals, at a more challenging level, and almost immediately, like a light switch being flicked on, I felt charged and totally focused once again.For a long time I have realised that the conditioning of the human mind rather upbringing or education is the reason for our success or otherwise in this world but, until now, I never had a system that I could choose to make it work for me. This is just one version of many out there that may make it work for you.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/ultimate-goal-setting-the-midas-method-by-stuart-goldsmith.html

No comments:

Post a Comment