Monday, February 18, 2013

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - Book Review

I can see why so many people loved The Time Traveler's Wife - there is something in it for everyone. I don't normally enjoy science fiction so I originally had my reservations about the time travelling aspect of this story. My concerns about the time travelling and its potential 'gimmick' factor were completely unfounded though. This ambitious concept was so skilfully executed it simply added to the telling of what is ultimately a modern day love story. By love story I don't just mean romance, I mean enduring love, admiration and respect found in a variety of relationships.Niffenegger's use of a dual narrative presents the tale from the two lead character's differing perspectives. This adds immense depth to the telling of the story; it also removed the need for laborious descriptive detail. The lead characters, Henry and Clare, are strikingly real despite the very unreal situations they find themselves in. They are not perfect, they do not always do the right thing and that s
imply heightens their likeability. This is a story that could be enjoyed by men and women in equal measure.If I had to describe this story in one word, that word would be 'moving'. On one level, it is a very clever telling of an excellent story. On a deeper level, it is a valuable reminder of the fragility of our lives and the virtues of living in the moment - carpe diem!The Time Traveler's Wife, released in 2003 was Niffenegger's debut novel. After much anticipation, her second novel, My Fearful Symmetry was released in 2009. She has also written graphical novels and short stories.

View this post on my blog: http://www.yourgamebook.com/the-time-travelers-wife-by-audrey-niffenegger-book-review.html

No comments:

Post a Comment